Search This Blog

Sunday, 5 March 2017

Regency Male Hairstyles

With the introduction of hair powder tax in 1795,  the whole look for men changed.  The tail coat had already crept in to replace the frock coat,  but now wigs and long hair also disappeared, and new hairstyles naturally had to be invented. Or if not invented, at least revived from the past. Even as the ladies were starting to look to the classics for inspiration in their dress and hairstyles, with the introduction of the directoire style of dress, so the men looked to the classics for hairstyles.

the Brutus was the style favoured by Beau Brummel, who made it very much his own trademark

the Caesar was a dignified hairstyle suitable to a man of affairs, or the older man, and was invaluable for the man with pattern baldness as it did not show as much if you were a little thin on top

the Titus was neither as extreme as the Brutus nor as full of gravitas as the Caesar.

Other hairstyles were pioneered by men of fashion whose styles were copied. The Duke of Bedford was one of the first to wear his own natural curls, using wax to part them at one side.
Natural curls 


I have to assume that the Stanhope Crop came from Philip Henry Stanhope, 4th Earl of Stanhope, 181-1855

Some men still preferred slightly longer cuts.

A slightly longer version of the Bedford Crop, the length permitting curling of naturally straight hair as well as being used by those with naturally curling hair.

this one simulated a look suggestive of being windblown by driving and being a sportsman

This one tends to be associated with the earlier years of short hair, and the incroyables

another sportsmen's choice, artistically disarranged but not as extreme as the coup au vent.
The fashion at the time was for all men to have sideburns, which was not a word known at the time, any more than was the term 'dundrearies'.  They would have been called 'side whiskers'.

5 comments:

  1. The Titus seems to be the most middle of the road and least extreme to me; not sure why anyone would wear their hair a la frightened owl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am inclined to agree, though for the older man, the Caesar does suit better to a man of limited resources. As to the frightened owl, well, I can't see why anyone would wear a neckcloth so tight and high he couldn't turn his head, corsets to nip his waist in, and striped inexpressibles either, but the incroyables certainly did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and useful. I can't stop chuckling over the Frightened Owl - both for the name and the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah - Slightly off topic,but could you not use this forum to advertise the books you are publishing? I have found the last few by going into Amazon and putting your name into the search bar! I think I have got most of your Charity School, Felicia and Robin and Brandon Scandals, but I don't think I got ANY OF THE TITLES from this blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amusingly, I started this blog because when I started self publishing, I followed the instructions, one of which was 'start a blog and use it as a forum for your books'. I enjoy sharing my research anyway, but I'm not sure I am convinced that it works as an advertising gimmick. However, I DO like to share when I have something new out,especially if there has been a bit of research I particularly wanted to share, like the Paris gardens, and how that ties into a book. I think it's valid to mention the books in which research is used, because it shows how it ties in with 'real life' for the people of the time. Also, I've gotten Amazon to streamline me into just Sarah Waldock as they had me under Sarah J Waldock and Mrs Sarah Waldock because I obediently filled in all the tick boxes but was signed up just as me,blah blah and computers are not reasoning animals ... so it should be easy to find them now. I've been considering taking down the sidebar and just putting up a link to my authorpage on Amazon except that family illness and general apathy has prevented me from getting that valuable round tuit...

    ReplyDelete